I recently answered the question of whether I'd buy the Galaxy Z Fold 8, and my answer was, “Probably not.” Not because I didn't want the phone, but because I have other spending priorities right now.
Fast forward a few days, and here I am typing this article on my laptop while a brand-new Galaxy Z Fold 8 sits on the desk next to me.
My friends and colleagues thought I should spend some time with Samsung's latest foldable, and naturally, I wasn't going to say no. They sent a Fold 8 my way, and after only a couple of days using it, one thing has become abundantly clear. The Galaxy Z Fold 8 is far better than I expected.
More to the point, so far it feels like the best mobile gaming device I've ever used, including premium Galaxy phones, Galaxy Tabs, and even iPads.
The best mobile gaming device in the world right now?
I've never been a huge fan of mobile gaming, and it isn't necessarily because the games are bad. Many of them are, but this article isn't about that. There are also plenty of genuinely great titles out there.
The hardware has always been the bigger issue for me. Phones are portable, but they're cramped. The displays feel too small, your thumbs cover too much of the action, and demanding games quickly turn phones into hand warmers while draining the battery.
To me, regular phones feel like the most compromised devices you can game on.
Tablets solve many of those problems with larger screens, better cooling, bigger batteries, and superior speakers. But they create a different one. Even relatively light tablets are heavier than the Fold 8 and become uncomfortable to hold during longer gaming sessions.
And if you're holding a tablet with one hand while gaming and rest it on your pinky, it won't take long before you start feeling discomfort.
Attach a snap-on controller to a tablet, and the whole setup becomes even bulkier. Tablets are portable, sure, but only if you make a conscious effort to carry one around. Not unlike a laptop. They're not nearly as good for an instant gaming session as the Fold 8 seems to be.
How is the Galaxy Z Fold 8 so damn good for gaming?

The first thing that stood out to me wasn't the performance, which is great. It was how the device feels in your hands.
Why the Fold 8 works so well for gaming
- The unfolded 7.6-inch display strikes what feels like the perfect balance. It's large enough that game interfaces have room to breathe, yet compact enough that every corner of the screen stays comfortably within reach.
- I'm also a huge fan of the 4:3 aspect ratio. Some people will disagree, but for mobile games already optimized for it, I genuinely think it's the sweet spot. It feels natural whether you're playing in landscape or portrait mode.
- It's unbelievably thin. You really have to hold the Fold 8 and game on it to appreciate this. At only 4.5mm when unfolded, it's thinner than any Galaxy tablet or iPad I've used, and that makes a bigger difference than you'd expect during longer sessions.
- It's incredibly light. At only 201 grams, it weighs about the same as my Galaxy S24+ without being top-heavy. Combined with that razor-thin profile, it almost feels weightless.
- The display is gorgeous. Bright at 3,000 nits, vibrant, responsive, and easy to see whether you're gaming indoors or outside in the park.
There is one downside: unlike premium tablets with quad-speaker setups, the Fold 8 has only two speakers. In landscape orientation, both sit on the left side of the device, which weakens the stereo effect.
It certainly isn't a deal-breaker, far from it given all of the phone's other qualities, but it's probably the biggest compromise compared to a dedicated tablet.
The best mobile gaming device I've ever held
I expected to enjoy gaming on the Galaxy Z Fold 8 because of its size and aspect ratio. I just didn't expect to enjoy it this much, or for reasons that go beyond the 4:3 aspect ratio.
The funny thing is that I don't think any bullet point lists can do it justice. You may have to spend a few hours with the Fold 8 yourself to understand why I think it's so special. The difference between gaming on the Fold 8 versus a regular phone or tablet is something you have to experience firsthand. If you get the opportunity, I recommend you don't pass it on.
The most surprising fact to me is that I can spend hours playing games like League of Legends: Wild Rift or Hearthstone without wishing I were using a different device. I didn't miss my laptop, tablet, or even my handheld console. The Fold 8 feels that that natural as a mobile gaming device.
And yes, I am writing this after a full night of gaming on the Fold 8, which lasted until dawn, and I'm probably going to jump right back in once this article goes live.
Once you're absorbed into the action, you forget you're holding a mobile device. The Galaxy Z Fold 8 is so thin and almost weightless that it feels like you're holding the hard cover of a notebook.
It's a strange analogy, but it kept popping into my head last night. It's one of those sensations I wish I could get across through the screen but can't.
All in all, I think Samsung found the sweet spot with its new foldable. At only 4.5mm thick and 201 grams, it unfolds into what I honestly believe is the best display and device I've ever used for mobile gaming.
I knew I'd like the Galaxy Z Fold 8. I just didn't expect it to be this entertaining and ruin every other mobile gaming device for me. And gaming is only one part of the equation. Stay tuned.
Post a Comment